A banner hangs at the 2023 Colorado Press Association convention at The Curtis Hotel in Denver on Sept. 23, 2023. (Quentin Young/Colorado Newsline)
Colorado Newsline earned five awards in the 2022 Colorado Press Association Better News Media Contest, the results of which were announced during a ceremony Saturday at the Colorado Press Association’s annual convention.
The outlet’s haul included two first-place nods. Newsline editor Quentin Young won first place in best opinion writing and former intern reporter Zoe Schacht won first place in best investigative story package.
The ceremony was part of CPA’s 145th annual convention, called “Build Back Better,” which took place Friday and Saturday at The Curtis Hotel in Denver.
This is what Newsline’s journalists won:
Quentin Young, editor
- First place, opinion writing, for “Fear of a Marshall Fire at Rocky Flats is real.”
- Second place, investigative story package, for “Jan. 6 video shows election-denial activist Shawn Smith in crowd clashing with Capitol police.”
Zoe Schacht, former intern reporter
- First place, investigative story package, for “Public money supports conservative Colorado lobbying group through membership dues.”
Sara Wilson, reporter
- Second place, politics reporting, for “Women bring new perspective in historic leadership of Colorado House.”
Lindsey Toomer, reporter
- Second place, social justice or equity reporting, for “New law expands threshold for providing multilingual ballot services in Colorado.”
Earlier this year, Colorado Newsline took home 9 awards, including four for first place, in the Society of Professional Journalists Colorado Pro Chapter’s 2023 Top of the Rockies contest.
Launched in July 2020, Newsline has been a CPA member since August 2021. The association, founded in 1878, works to promote media rights, press freedoms and professional development on behalf of journalists throughout Colorado.
SUPPORT NEWS YOU TRUST.
Our stories may be republished online or in print under Creative Commons license CC BY-NC-ND 4.0. We ask that you edit only for style or to shorten, provide proper attribution and link to our web site. Please see our republishing guidelines for use of photos and graphics.